Monday, December 28, 2009

Staying on task...

Thanks Karen for giving me the idea for this post! I am trying to figure out a routine/organizer/time management/schedule for everything that I have to do around the house. My question for everyone out there is what are some things/tools that you use to stay on top of everything that needs to get done. Everything from feeding the cat, doing laundry, cleaning bathrooms, meal planning, date nights, bathroom cleaning, play time with the boys and relaxation. Do you set one day aside for laundry or do you do a load everyday? Do you clean all three bathrooms in one day or again space them out? Set specific times each day for relaxing, cleaning, cooking, playing etc....?

I am trying, and failing I might add, at finding a way to manage everything at the same time.
Karen, my sister-in-law, gave me the idea that I should set a timer for an hour and do whatever i can in that hour. Or maybe I will do that twice a day once in the morning and once in the afternoon? So I figured I would try it starting tomorrow!

I make all these lists of things that need to get done and yet nothing seems to get done even though I am working on them? I am also known, at least when it comes to things around the house, for saying that I am going to get something done today and then by the end of the day it is only partially done or not at all. Then I get frustrated and then Jason gets frustrated and that is just not good. So any and all ideas are welcome and hopefully I can get into some kind of routine that works and will stick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude! I actually learned the timer trick from a friend. I really like it b/c you can say to yourself: "OK, I'm going to do an hour of work, and then I can sit down and read or watch TV or whatever...." You would be SO surprised by how much you can get done in an hour. I tend to stretch projects over hours and hours, b/c I'm so easily sidetracked. So, I'm helped by a timer and also lists. It helps me to not only remember what has to get done, but also to be accountable to what has to be done. And how satisfying is it to cross something off a list? Confession: Sometimes I put things I've already done on my list so I can cross is off :-) I think the trick is finding what system works best for you!

Mike and Gail said...

Also, don't be too hard on yourself! Prioritize and make sure you put some "me" time on your list (reading a book is always a good one).
You are very busy with the boys and that takes a lot of time and energy for sure!